As an application engineer, you will work with the business development, R&D, and engineering teams to design, operate, and evaluate experiments using custom built and standard testing apparatus and analytical tools. You will be interacting with business leaders to provide application data supporting value propositions to customers. Working at a vibrant small business, you will be exposed to and integrated into the entire technical team (R&D, engineering, manufacturing, and operations). Most projects will involve the frequent interaction with business development leaders in dealing with real-life applications by choosing/building experimental systems, setting up analytical lab equipment, running experiments, collecting data, and interpreting the results into actionable outcomes in the porous material related applications.
- Collaborate with peers in the chemistry and engineering teams to:
- Understand the chemical and characteristics of the materials being tested
- Develop sound design of experiments to evaluate the performance of the materials
- Based on test results, provide input to modify and improve the chemical and physical properties of the material.
- Work with the business leaders to deliver the requested results in the applications primarily related to gas-phase separation & purification.
- Generate application-related data in a presentable manner that respond to customer needs and provide innovative solutions to common problems.
- Identify the testing methods and contribute to the experimental and system designs.
- Build, test, and maintain research-scale equipment (hardware, control systems, electronics) to validate the performance of advanced materials (i.e. filtration, separation, adsorption systems, on both liquid and gas phases).
- Use in-line and off-line analytical equipment (gas and liquid phase) to measure the material performance.
- Execute experiments, analyze the data, and reach actionable conclusions meaningful to internal and external customers.
- In an environment of continuous improvement, identify and champion enhancements to processes and systems throughout the RD&E organization.
- You have direct experience in operating gas-phase break-through apparatuses, and characterizing and analyzing data.
- You have application engineer experience in companies related to gas/liquid filtration/separation.
- You are knowledgeable on characterizing/analyzing microporous materials and their applications in wide ranges of industrial applications.
- You are innovative and familiar with test protocols in the above-mentioned fields.
- You enjoy designing/building systems and scientific apparatus in separation science related fields.
- You are detail-oriented and passionate about converting abstract concepts into a prototype.
- You are familiar with the measurement and control of flow rate, pressure, temperature, valves, vacuum components used in common liquid and gas delivery manifolds.
- You are familiar with pipe and tube fittings (NPT, compression, VCR, flange, etc.)
- You are familiar with LabView and/or other control and data-logging platforms.
- Preferably, you have a working knowledge of liquid and gas analytical equipment (i.e. FT-IR, GC, mass spec, HPLC.)
- Preferably, you have experience with electrical and control wiring.