This role is part innovation strategy, product management and corporate development. This individual will create and drive NuMat’s application roadmap, identifying and building new products and businesses from ideation through execution in diverse end-markets. This role requires creativity, analytical and technical depth, a top-notch strategic mind-set, cross-cultural competency, and the poise to credibly engage at both the board, lab and shop-floor level. You will be expected to grow with the business, taking increasing levels of responsibility in driving the strategic initiatives which matter most. While subject expertise is valued, the best candidates are ones with agile minds capable of rapidly assessing deeply technical opportunities outside of their experience base. We are firm believers that talented individuals can learn and accomplish just about anything they put their minds to.
- Lead the identification of new product and market opportunities across the Company’s technology portfolio, evaluating and prioritizing the attractiveness of market segments, and determining overall strategies and resources the Company should devote in pursuing them. Opportunities will span electronics, healthcare, energy and defense end-markets as well as multiple process technologies (separations, filtration, storage, membranes, small molecule delivery, etc.)
- Lead the development and execution of go-to-market product strategies, identifying product requirements, customer requirements, competitive landscape (including IP), regulatory requirements, available channels, partnership and customer strategies
- Pursue strategic relationships with leading organizations in the U.S., Europe, and Asia. This includes managing all aspects of opportunity identification, process management, agreement structuring and closing for key operational, commercial, and product development relationships. Types of transactions could include technology JDA’s, IP transactions (licensing), manufacturing or commercial relationships, JV’s, and acquisitions on a global basis.
- Lead Board-level strategic programs, which would span strategy, human capital, operational and financial management initiatives.
- Selectively take operational or general management responsibility for new product launches
- Degrees in engineering, chemistry, or a related technical discipline strongly preferred
- An MBA from a top-tier institute, or Masters/Ph.D. equivalent
One or a combination of the following profiles:
- Principal or Sr. Manager at a leading consulting firm (McK, Bain, BCG, Strategy &, etc.) with experience leading strategy, innovation and due diligence cases in the industrial technology, chemicals/energy, or other high tech industry segments. Pre-MBA experience in a technical role is valued, as are candidates with Ph.D.’s
- Or, Corporate strategy manager, internal consulting leader or innovation director at a leading engineered products, advanced materials and/or specialty chemicals company. Experience leading new business development activities, identifying and building detailed use-cases for new applications, products, and market opportunities. Successful track record of engaging with the technology organization in prioritizing and executing against innovation priorities
- Or, Business development leader at venture-backed start-up (Series-B or later) commercializing a foundational technology platform with multiple end-uses in distinct markets. Experience leading application discovery initiatives and executing on platform build-out
- Passionate about technology and a willingness to completely immerse yourself in highly technical fields (chemistry, new process technologies) in diverse end-markets
- Ability to thrive in a non-hierarchical (no ego), resource-constrained, do it yourself, no task is too small environment, playing multiple roles
- Entrepreneurial, with the ability to work in a fast-paced, high-risk environment. History of personal or professional risk-taking with both successes and failures
- Must be a strategic thinker with diverse business, technical, and operational acumen
- Hard-hitting, execution-oriented. Willing to do whatever it takes to get things done
NuMat Technologies (“NuMat”) is a start-up company innovating at the intersection of high-performance computing, chemistry and advanced manufacturing. NuMat is a recognized pioneer in the field of metal-organic frameworks (MOFs) — an emerging class of nanomaterials which can be programmed to uniquely interact with target molecules at the atomic level. NuMat’s expertise lies in the design and integration of MOFs into next-generation storage, separation and purification systems. In doing so, NuMat enables previously unachievable form factors, performance and cost-advantaged production economics in the electronics, life-sciences and energy sectors.
Since our founding in 2013, we’ve been recognized by Google as a “Solve for X” innovator, won the Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers “Green Tech Innovation” prize and have been backed by leading venture and strategic investors such as OS Fund and Patagonia.