- Title: Senior Manager, Manufacturing & Operations
- Location: Skokie, IL (Chicago)
- Travel: Some domestic and international travel required (~20%)
- Compensation: Competitive salary, health insurance, stock options
- Send Resumes to:Careers
This role is unique – part manufacturing, operations and engineering, it requires interfacing on a daily basis with commercial, R&D and engineering leadership. As a start-up, NuMat will leverage this individual’s experience in areas well beyond the immediate scope of the role, leading to significant responsibility expansion as the Company grows.
Operations & Manufacturing Technology Management:
- Direct all manufacturing operations (for existing and new products) related to batch chemical production, post synthesis processing, procurement of raw materials and equipment, preparation of standard operating procedures (SOPs), design and operation of manufacturing facilities, management of outsourced manufacturing operations, product packaging and labeling, quality assurance, and shipment.
- Oversee and manage pilot plant through commercial scale specialty chemical production operations, including a distributed supply-chain network.
- Develop and manage the manufacturing budget.
- Develop and implement strategy to track and manage the global assets.
- Lead continuous improvement of NuMat’s manufacturing processes to improve efficiency and lower cost, including the use of statistical tools, six sigma and value-stream mapping.
- Ensure regulatory compliance and compliance with Company Environmental Health & Safety protocols.
- Lead facility upgrade and improvement initiatives in coordination with the engineering organization.
Quality and HS&E:
- Develop product specifications, labeling, and packaging in compliance with all relevant domestic and international regulatory authorities.
- Ensure that NuMat’s manufacturing facilities are designed and operated in accordance with ISO 9001:2015 Quality Management System standards.
- Lead PM schedule and process development, in coordination with Quality organization.
- Establish procedures for control and management of manufacturing records.
- Establish and manage a robust Statistical Process Control Plan (SPC/SQC).
- Manage SOPs to ensure that Manufacturing Specialists are always using current versions.
- Provide technical support to the sales organization and NuMat’s Channel Partners.
- Address customer product quality enquiries, as needed.
- Lead the Operating Committee Team in strategic alliances with channel partners.
- Interface with the sales organization to establish a manufacturing plan and forecast.
- Communicate product lead times to the sales organization.
- Formulate contingency plans to avoid manufacturing disruptions and delays.
- Support development of the Annual Operating Plan.
- Work closely with the business and technical teams on manufacturing plans, goals, and future product innovations.
- Proactive leader with a track record of motivating teams and executing against operational objectives
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, resource-constrained, entrepreneurial environment where everyone must play multiple roles
- Willing to be hands on in all facets of the operations – no job is too big or small
- Excellent written, verbal, interpersonal, and cross-cultural communication skills
- Bachelor’s or Graduate degree in a technical field (Chemical Engineering highly preferred)
- At least 7 years’ experience in a high-tech manufacturing environment, in a manufacturing, operations, or engineering position (ideally a combination of the above)
- At least 5 years’ experience in the specialty chemicals or advanced materials production, with a background in managing or overseeing batch chemical synthesis (adsorbents, catalyst preferred, but not required)
- Familiarity with chemical processes and equipment (e.g. batch reactors, filtration, centrifugation, formation, etc.)
- Experience working with hazardous chemicals
- At least 2 years’ experience leading operations or technical teams
- Experience with process improvement methodologies (e.g. Six Sigma, etc.)
- Experience with ISO 9001 and other key quality management systems