As an application engineer, you will work with the business development, R&D, and engineering teams to design, operate, and evaluate experiments using custom built and standard testing apparatus. You will be interacting with business leaders to provide application data supporting value propositions to customers. Working at a vibrant small business, you will be exposed to and integrated into the entire technical team (R&D, engineering, manufacturing, and operations). Most projects will involve the frequent interaction with business development leaders in dealing with real-life applications by choosing/building experimental systems, setting up analytical lab equipment, running experiments, collecting data, and interpreting the results into actionable outcomes in the porous material related applications.
- Work with the business leaders to deliver the requested results in the applications related to pharma purification, liquid filtration, gas filtration, enzyme immobilization, catalyst support on a timely manner.
- Generate application-related data in a presentable manner that respond to customer needs and provide innovative solutions to common problems.
- Identify the testing methods and contribute to the experimental and system designs.
- Build and test research-scale equipment (hardware, control systems, electronics) to validate the performance of advanced materials (i.e. filtration, separation, adsorption systems, on both liquid and gas phases).
- Execute experiments, analyze the data, and reach actionable conclusions meaningful to internal and external customers.
- In an environment of continuous improvement, identify and champion enhancements to processes and systems throughout the RD&E organization.
- You have application engineer experience in companies related to pharmaceutical, gas/liquid filtration/separation, fine chemicals/API syntheses using catalysts/enzymes, membranes or chromatography.
- You are knowledgeable on characterizing/analyzing microporous materials and their applications in wide ranges of industrial applications.
- You are innovative and familiar with test protocols in the above-mentioned fields.
- You enjoy designing/building systems and scientific apparatus in separation science related fields.
- You are detail-oriented and passionate about converting abstract concepts into a prototype.
- You are familiar with the measurement and control of flow rate, pressure, temperature, valves, vacuum components used in common liquid and gas delivery manifolds.
- You are familiar with pipe and tube fittings (NPT, compression, VCR, flange, etc.)
- You are familiar with LabView and/or other control and data-logging platforms.
- Preferably, you have experience with electrical and control wiring.
- Preferably, you have a working knowledge of gas and liquid analytical equipment (i.e. FT-IR, GC, mass spec, HPLC)