As a senior software engineer, you will grow to manage the ongoing development of the internal software that provides actionable technical information across NuMat’s research, engineering, and manufacturing organizations. You will collaborate with modelers and developers on a scientific python stack, and you will be responsible for enforcing best practices such as test-driven development, documentation, code style, and continuous integration.
NuMat is a strong proponent of open-source science, and the engineering organization is seeking candidates who are excited by the prospect of contributing to the broader community. To support, NuMat is committed to providing resources for open-source engagement and development.
Roles and Responsibilities
The current stack is mostly asynchronous ≥Python 3.5, mongoDB, and ES6 web interfaces, and is version controlled in private and public github repositories. Scientific python libraries are used extensively. Projects include:
- Quality assurance (MES). From laboratory samples to commercial products, all items delivered by NuMat must be traceable back to their starting materials. Each step of the assembly process must be documented and quality gates must relate back to analytical reports. This is currently accomplished with an in-memory datastore, async python, ES6, and validation rules. Future development will involve splitting this system into subcomponents to improve usability for specific product workflows.
- R&D modeling workflows. All internal modeling is run in a jupyterhub container and high-performance computing is performed on cloud computing infrastructure. Developers must collaborate with the research organization to maintain and expand this workflow.
- Data infrastructure. The research and engineering teams produce data through a mixture of third-party and home-built equipment, which is then centralized in a database. Expansion work can include the funded development of an open-source framework that interfaces between industrial equipment and modern python standards.
- Support. Senior Software Engineers must maintain existing capabilities and provide technical mentorship to the team. This includes keeping servers up to date, responding to issues, and teaching others how to use code to benefit their work.
This position is targeted to grow into a Lead Software Engineer and holistically manage NuMat’s infrastructure. This includes identifying new projects, leading make vs. buy decisions for new software, and implementing solutions. Ultimately, this position will hold approval authority for all new software brought into the company and will set technical standards followed across the organization.
- A proven track record of developing and managing open-source projects utilizing the scientific python stack.
- Preferably, maintain open-source projects used in chemistry, materials science, or chemical engineering.
- Experienced in UNIX, python, databases, digital communication, and website front-ends.
- Preferably, comfortable with the myriad industrial communication standards.
- Preferably, comfortable with OAuth2, SSL/TLS, Docker, and nginx.
- Experience in testing, documentation, version control, style guides, and writing Pythonic code.
- Comfortable with advanced mathematics.
- Preferably, experienced in chemistry and chemical engineering mathematics.
- Preferably, experienced in adsorption, Monte Carlo, and reaction-diffusion modeling.
- Self-motivated, confident, and able to work in a fast-paced environment with significant autonomy.
- Entrepreneurial, with the ability to manage multiple priorities without incurring technical debt.
- A passion for staying modern and learning new skills.
- Able to collaborate across functional and organizational lines and capable of working with all levels of individuals and cultures as a leader, mentor, and follower.
NuMat Technologies (“NuMat”) is a start-up company innovating at the intersection of high-performance computing, chemistry, and advanced manufacturing. NuMat is a recognized pioneer in the field of metal-organic frameworks (MOFs) — an emerging class of nanomaterials which can be programmed to uniquely interact with target molecules at the atomic level. NuMat’s expertise lies in the design and integration of MOFs into next-generation storage, separation, and purification systems. In doing so, NuMat enables previously unachievable form factors, performance and cost-advantaged production economics in the electronics, life-sciences, and energy sectors.
Since our founding in 2013, we’ve been recognized by Google as a “Solve for X” innovator, won the Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers “Green Tech Innovation” prize, and have been backed by leading venture and strategic investors such as OS Fund and Patagonia.